IT-curious folks meet every Friday morning on the campus of the University of Illinois (and on Skype) to learn about new and interesting topics in IT. I was honored to present my Drupal 8 Configuration Management talk on February 21st.
See it again at the Midwest Drupal Camp (MidCamp) in Chicago on March 19th.
Configuration management in Drupal 8 for beginners
Friday, February 21st, 2020 at 9:00 am
You just finished building a feature that has taken months to get right. Your work in the development environment is approved and you’re ready to take it to production.
Moving the code is easy since you’re using Git, but what will you do about all of that configuration saved in the database? You added content types, fields, and even views. Do you really want to recreate your work again in the Live environment? And are you confident that you won’t make a mistake along the way?
In this session, we’re going to be learning the basics of Configuration Management and make the business case for getting started right away. Before we go, we’ll highlight techniques for managing this workflow from the command line using Drush and demonstrate how to completely automate deployment with Continuous Integration.
At the end of this session, attendees will be able to:
- Apply comprehensive workflows to your everyday site building process.
- Pull configuration out of the database and into version control.
- Deploy configuration to Live in the UI and from the command line.
- Automate configuration imports in each of your environments.
- Bring it all together and improve your team development workflow.