MidCamp is an annual event held in Chicago that brings together people who use, develop, design, and support the Web’s leading content management platform, Drupal. Organized by volunteers from the regional Drupal community, MidCamp features curated sessions and panel conversations by internationally-renowned Drupal experts.
In 2020, things were a little different and MidCamp was held as a totally virtual event.
Getting Started with Drupal 8
Thursday, March 19th, 2020 at 9:45 am
In this half-day training workshop, we led discussions and exercises around the fundamental building blocks of Drupal 8, including content types, fields, views, and taxonomy. If you want to take this class yourself, it’s being offered again in April and other times throughout the year.
How I set up Zoom when presenting
I improvized this quick video to show how I usually set up my windows and manage Zoom settings when preparing to present at a virtual conference like MidCamp or other online training workshops. I hope this was helpful!
Configuration management in Drupal 8 for beginners
Friday, March 20th, 2020 at 2:30 pm
You just finished building a feature that has taken months to get right. Your work in the development environment is approved and you’re ready to take it to production.
Moving the code is easy since you’re using Git, but what will you do about all of that configuration saved in the database? You added content types, fields, and even views. Do you really want to recreate your work again in the Live environment? And are you confident that you won’t make a mistake along the way?
In this session, we’re going to be learning the basics of Configuration Management and make the business case for getting started right away. Before we go, we’ll highlight techniques for managing this workflow from the command line using Drush and demonstrate how to completely automate deployment with Continuous Integration.
At the end of this session, attendees will be able to:
- Apply comprehensive workflows to your everyday site building process.
- Pull configuration out of the database and into version control.
- Deploy configuration to Live in the UI and from the command line.
- Automate configuration imports in each of your environments.
- Bring it all together and improve your team development workflow.
- Drupal.org’s CFM guide
- Drupalize.Me’s CFM video series
- Article: Drupal 8 Configuration Management – Solving the Configuration Conundrum
- Pantheon Docs: Configuration Workflow for Drupal 8 Sites