The University of Illinois Web Conference is an affordable three-day conference for web designers, developers, social media marketers, content managers, and other web professionals within higher ed and beyond. It was canceled in 2020 and it ran virtually in 2021.
How to Deliver Great Presentations
Friday, April 9th, 2:30 pm – 3:30 pm
Download slides: View on Google Drive
Do you get nervous when thinking about speaking to a group of people? Public speaking can be very rewarding, but the desire doesn’t come naturally.
Presenting is my full-time job and I still have self-doubt and nervousness. I’ll share my story and talk about how I quiet my doubts and pump myself up to speak in front of a large crowd. I’ll also discuss my techniques for mentoring and encouraging others to speak for the first time and highlight Global Diversity Call For Papers Day.
We’ll start by talking about easy ways anyone can get experience speaking. From there, we’ll learn storytelling techniques to stay on track and calm your nerves when presenting.
By the end of the talk, you’ll be ready to volunteer to give a presentation at your workplace or community event. I want to hear your story!
From the WebCon sessions page.
Additional Resources for this talk
- Introduce Yourself by Telling Your Story by David Needham
- Slide:ology: The Art and Science of Creating Great Presentations by Nancy Duarte
- Resonate: Present Visual Stories that Transform Audiences by Nancy Duarte
- To Make Big Gains, Avoid Tiny Losses by James Clear (don’t miss his 3-2-1 Newsletter)
- Online Meeting Tips by Toastmasters International
- A Guide to PowerPoint-Karaoke by SlideLizard (lots of alternatives)
- Tips for effective presentation by University of Birmingham
- Tips for Applying to a WordCamp by Carl Alexander
- Global Diversity Call for Papers Day